Tuesday 27 November 2018

Non Portugal. Sci-fi place!


While my van was lost (allegedly it has been found and will shortly show up at the garage) I had a night at a smart hotel in Vilamoura. I am very glad we had somewhere nice to sleep but the place was a bit odd. I've usually travelled to friends and family or cheap hotels down in the city, even in Egypt, which can be a bit dangerous, we walked around rubbing elbows with the people there. 
Back to Portugal, this morning I left the hotel to get some food and found myself in this "old town" so manicured I kept asking myself if it was fake, or part of the hotel. Portuguese people swept and cut grass while in all the shops and cafes only English and German was spoken! Everyone who helped me/served me addressed me in English without trying their native tongue first. All signs were in English only! I felt like some sort of white oppressor! The manicured town reminded me of a sci-fi book I once read where everyone's parents turned out to be robots!!!

I had heard of the concept of traveling only for the climate change and avoiding local culture and indeed contact, it was freaky and tragic and rude! Bring back Portugal please, and all the attendant difficulties! Down with you heated pool, giant double beds and tree-surgeoned palm trees! 

I'm actually looking forward to camping in my van again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My posts are all to amuse and are fiction, sometimes inspired by my life.

 My posts are all to amuse and are fiction, sometimes inspired by my life. I often exaggerate to make things fun. All my advice is just my o...