Tuesday 3 October 2017

Heavy Chevy, Europe in a campervan!

Heavy Chevy. Europe by campervan.
I think everyday society might have a short of magical inertia, like the heavy Chevy I now drive, once it's chugging you need to work hard to stop. I'm sure it's a good thing for us all to travel and change our lifestyle too, but I'm struggling with the last of the “break out” we have got rid of almost enough stuff, the van is almost ready, I've almost worked out the taxes and insurances… almost, almost, almost...more bits of everyday society keep coming up… “Oh! We will need to do something about that too!”

I'm calling this Heavy Chevy because I seem to have spent all week driving around garages being told my van is too heavy for their ramps! Luckily the Chevy (Chevrolet G20 Day Van) is in good condition, but it's stalling in reverse sometimes and needs a service and oil change. I booked her into a garage, when I turned up they went “How heavy is that? It won't go on our ramp!” So I drove around looking at the ramps! The next garage was doubtful “I better not put it on my ramp” they recommended a garage “We have a four ton ramp but we can't get parts for that! What is it?”

So I called the campervan garage, “Sure we can service it, sure we can get parts, oh! The ramp is no problem, we don't have one, we will just jack it up! What is it seven tonnes? Only one and a half, no problem!” Just goes to show it's attitude and experience not tools that count!

On the people who bought my previous van, the police advised us that they have no legal leg to stand on and we can ignore it unless they threaten violence, in which case it becomes a police matter.

Hopefully they realise their only options are to fix the van and sell it, to one of the many people who want old motorhomes, and are prepared to do work on them, or fix it and keep it. I made her so nice, sweeping her out and checking everything was spotless the night before she went, even though I already had the money, it is crazy to be accused of some sort of fault.

Anyway my husband has started telling people we are leaving before Halloween! So I guess we are. We can't really do a leaving party, (shame on you if you didn't come to my 40th while I still had the big house for parties!) it's getting on for winter and I don't want to drive right across France in snow so it's going to be like the end of “Good Will Hunting” one day you will call round for us and find us gone! When you do, make sure you do that huge Ben Affleck smile! They made it!

The pictures are the “All the aires” books. Aires are little parking spots for campervans only (no tents or caravans) that cost nothing or only a few euros. Tim’s mum got us the books - thank you. Whenever I am feeling like I'm never getting out of here I play “Who can find the prettiest Aire?” With Tim! These are Aires for campervans, don't mix them up with truck stops which are also called Aire - something or other and are not always safe.

Garages may quail when they see her but I'm getting to love my Chevy, “Sparkle” as my daughter named her. She's built for big American rednecks, or A team members, and I sit on, not one, but two cushions so I can see out to drive. All old vehicles have eccentricities, when you dove my last van over 40 MPH the wing mirror went flat against the side!!! It was open the window and hold it out to change lane (I super glued it!) With Sparkle, the driver side window packs in if it rains! You have to leave it down till it dries out, think before you wind it down? Will it rain? Do I need my van secure?








No comments:

Post a Comment

My posts are all to amuse and are fiction, sometimes inspired by my life.

 My posts are all to amuse and are fiction, sometimes inspired by my life. I often exaggerate to make things fun. All my advice is just my o...