Monday 15 March 2021

Algave tour with my big girl







 Jasmine and I did an amazing tour of the most historic parts of the algarve today, here are some of the more quirky things we learned:


Long before the British or Spanish had empires, the Portuguse sailed to OZ and brought back eucalyptus trees, but it was a bad choice as now they are often the cause of forest fires!


Storks mate for life and migrate back to the exact nest every year, for this reason it is illegal to destroy anything a stork nests on in Portugal. There are sites in Lagos where whole factories have been torn down except two chimneys because they have nests on!


The tiny orange variety of the algarve is both sweet and juicy, but you can't get it anywhere else in Europe because it's bellow European Union regulation orange size so it can only be sold locally!


Lagos has the site of the oldest slave market in Europe but Portugal was also an early adopter of abolition. First in, first out!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My posts are all to amuse and are fiction, sometimes inspired by my life.

 My posts are all to amuse and are fiction, sometimes inspired by my life. I often exaggerate to make things fun. All my advice is just my o...